Saturday, January 2, 2010

2009 - Top New Releases of the year (Ghoulager)

Another year is over, time to let the reflecting begin:

Top five new releases of 2009:

5) Goes Cube "Another Day Has Passed"

I read a lot of good stuff about this record before I finally broke down and bought it and it was one of the few times that a record has actually lived up to the hype that preceded it. They're finishing up a new record that should be released sometime in 2010 and it's easily one of my most anticipated records of the coming year. "Another Day Has Passed" starts off with a bang and then eases into it's groove and before you know it the record is over. "Saab Sonnet", the centerpiece of the record (and catchy as hell) really stands out. Awesome introduction to a band that I hadn't even heard of this time last year.


4) Agoraphobic Nosebleed "Agorapocalypse"

Before I picked up this record the only other time I'd listened to this band was on the "Poacher Diaries" split with Converge. I thought the drums sounded straight off a Nintendo and quite frankly, the Converge half of the record flat out slayed, leaving the ANB half forgettable to my ears. So, I pick up this record out of curiosity and man, this record absolutely killed any doubts I had right off the bat. Scott Hull (Pig Destroyer) pretty much put this entire record together himself and deserves most the credit. The record sounds fantastic (thanks to Hull's production), especially the programmed drum beats (there's even a killer programmed drum solo at the end of "Question of Integrity"). Also the vocal duties are split between Jay Randall, Richard Johnson, and Katherine Katz. All do outstanding jobs, but I found myself especially impressed with Katz vocals, I really need to check here other band Salome out sometime. Between this record and the new Brutal Truth I got my loud, fast, and angry on in a big way this year.


3) Kylesa "Static Tensions"

Another great record from one of my favorite bands. I had the pleasure of seeing these guys twice this year and they just never cease to amaze me. I really loved "Time Will Fuse It's Worth" and while Static Tensions looses some of the immediacy and growling found on that record, it doesn't have any of the gaps that I felt held "Time" back a bit. From beginning to end Static Tensions works. The two drummers are put to better use on this record, the playing on all fronts are excellent, and the melodies really shine through without sacrificing any of Kylesa's heaviness. Really, really, great record.


p.s. If you can come across the 7" for "Unknown Awareness" the b-side is an incredible drum jam.

2) Mastodon "Crack The Skye"

O.k. so, either you embrace the direction they're taking or you're pissed they're not screaming as much anymore. Look, Mastodon belted out the screams on "Remission", "Leviathan", and "Blood Mountain". I for one, am really happy they decided to go into a different direction. It's a dynamite record that hasn't left my side since I bought it. Excellent work, I can't wait to see what's next.


1) Baroness "Blue Record" & Converge "Axe To Fall"

So sue me, I've got a tie for my #1. Here's why.

First off I love both of these bands immensely and both were records that I highly anticipated when they were released. Also both bands had previously released records that I absolutely adored and I feel that both the "Blue Record" and "Axe To Fall" were just as good if not better than anything the bands had previously put out.

For Baroness it was the "Red Album"that I first fell in love with. I was really pleased when I popped the "Blue Record" in and it didn't sound like a repeat of their debut. It sounds rawer than the "Red Album". The musicianship on this record is top notch. They've even got some seriously catchy tracks such as "A Horse Called Golgotha". But, perhaps the most important aspect to me is that I felt an extension of the chemistry these four guys enjoy while I was listening to the album. I really can't wait to grow with this record.


As for Converge, well, I can't believe I'm saying this, but, they made an album that at this moment, I feel is better than "Jane Doe". Jane Doe is an album I've got serious respect for and personal connection to. I though that they would never top it. Axe to Fall is perfectly executed in every way. From the manic explosion of the first four tracks to "Cruel Bloom" featuring Neurosis's Steve Von Till and the albums closer. It's just jaw dropping how good these guys are at this point in their career. Just amazing.



Honorable mentions:

Coalesce "Ox"
I'm fairly new to this band, but quickly catching up. Really great, progressive hardcore.

Wilco "Wilco"
I know, doesn't really fit in with the other stuff I mentioned up until now, but I do love this band. This record is not my favorite by them by a long shot, but it does contain their funnest song to date, "Wilco".

Shrinebuilder "Shrinebuiler"
I really just haven't had enough time to properly listen to this record. But considering it has Dale Crover (Melvins, Altamont), Scott Kelly (Neurosis), Wino (St. Vitus, Hidden Hand), and Al Cisneros (Om, Sleep) make up the band, I'm really looking forward to diving in.

Like Rats - Demo
I've written about them before and it's free to download. Check them out!

No comments:

Post a Comment